Design Teams

Monday, November 30, 2009

ANNAUL WREATH MAKING PARTY

Every year the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I go to a friends house where about 15 to 20 of us make our annual Christmas wreaths for our homes.  We also include a potluck with lots of delicious Hawaiian style "ono grinds" (good food!).

The day before, we go out into the rain forests and gather all kinds of ferns, leaves and plants to make the wreaths.  Some ladies bring things they have growing in their yards.  All the gathered pieces are piled on a tarp and everyone takes whatever they are going to use and away we go!  








The variety of things to use are beautiful, so many different possibilities of what type of wreath you can make!  We start with a straw wreath form from the craft store and wreath pins.  Take your piece of plant , lay it on the form  closest to the center inside edge that will show, and tack it down with the pin.  Continue laying more pieces overlapping them at the stems that are showing.  (Each person may start in a different place depending on their own technique...) When you complete the circle, you start again laying pieces closest to the ones already tacked down and repeat the process.








The patterns and designs are so beautiful!  Endless ways to be creative and have a beautiful decoration for your home.  Here are some of the wonderful wreaths that were made.




 

 

 

 






Here are the two wreaths that I did.  I always make one for around a a large candle.  I love to use it for a centerpiece on my coffee table.  The other is hung outside our front door.  They are so fun to make and have become an important tradition of my holiday season.  Sharing a day with friends doing a wonderful craft I love is the best way to start my Christmas season!



 

 

9 comments:

  1. Your wreaths are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! They're beautiful!! What a lovely tradition you guys have! =)
    Hugs, SannaS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, these are so beautiful and what a fun tradition too!! I've clicked on all of the pictures to enlarge them, wow!!!! I ADORE tropical foliage, so beautiful, I love the translucency of the petals and the shapes. Gorgeous gorgeous!! By the way, I have this old award for you that I neglected to share with ya, and then I saw that you'd received it from someone else too, so I just skipped telling you about it, and also, I posted a pumpkin bread recipe here :) So I think that catches things up, hahaha, sorry for the looooong comment!! Have a great day!!
    Stephanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wreaths.. and the picture on the top of your blog.. Hawaii is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like so much fun, they are BEAUTIFUL!!!

    Wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog. I am still getting those darn migranes it's been 3 weeks now. They are referring me to a neurologist soon! I've been taking a bunch of different med's some have helped, some haven't. I hope they go away soon so I can get back to doing things I enjoy like creating! lol! Thanks again!!! Hope you had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving-Samantha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great wreaths, really beautiful!!!
    Thanks for your sweet aloha, i appreciate it a lot. Enjoy the holidays before you know it's 2010 ;-)!

    Groetjes from the Netherlands and a doei doei
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what FUN Joanne!! I am so envious, and wish I lived closer to you....that looks like such a fun project to make, what an awesome tradition!

    I LOVE those wreaths, you all did an amazing job on them....and yours are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wreaths are beautiful. What a fantastic tradition! Wish I could do the same but here in the desert of Arizona, it would be pretty hard to do. Unless maybe a wreath made out of cactus? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. I appreciate it so much! Aloha....